skip to main | skip to sidebar

Noisy Archive

Subscribe in Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator OnlineAdd to Google

2.23.2007

Church Signs: Whats Your Guilty Pleasure


    I suppose we all have one or two or three, but it sure doesn't make them any less embarrassing. Some are addicted to talk-shows vintage Jerry Springer style and others cannot get enough of those annoying little alien Teletubbies, but those both fail in comparison to mine. I do secretly admit to loving HGTV, but that's not my worst guilty pleasure. Ok... I'll come clean... I love reading church signs.  Those really disturbing messages about Jesus put in a poser relevant and opposite of humorous way is like dead skin that must be peeled. It really saddens me that millions of people drive by these signs and think that this is what following Christ is all about. In reality, I wonder if the churches really believe these signs are helping them "win" souls for God. On the other hand, I could be just the strange one who is not affected by them.



    After all, they always do get my attention. There could be a small sign and church beside a large multistory bank, and my eyes hone in straight to the little "Jesus loves you" sign. This morning, I drove by one that was done in the usual one-liner with a message behind it kind of way. It read, "Be an organ donor, give your heart to Jesus". The message does make me chuckle a little in my head, but on a sign it sounds like a bad car salesman trying to give me a horrible deal on a 1980's Relient K.


Maybe I am the only one with this guilty pleasure, but I doubt it. If you are stricken with this horrible addiction, then its time to come out of the closet and be proud of who you are. Share with all of us, the juiciest message on a sign that you've read.

0 comments: